Overnight Parking: 920-236-5700
One of the major issues that citizens and new residents must deal with is parking concerns. Officers from the Oshkosh Police Department and the University Police Department spend a large amount of time and effort educating students as to the "do's and don't" on a number of parking related issues. It is hoped that this page will assist students and residents - making things easier for all and preventing problems from occurring.
The City of Oshkosh has an ordinance which prohibits parking, year around, from 2:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. on all city streets where parking is allowed. The ordinance also makes provisions for the purchase of a Parking Permit, and under special circumstances, permission.
Parking permits are sold at the Oshkosh Police Department each month, on the first business day of the month. The sale of the permits starts at approximately 8:00 a.m., and are sold on a first come, first serve basis. The Police Department is located in the Public Safety Building, 420 Jackson Street. This building is across the street from the Winnebago County Courthouse. The parking lot entrance is on Church Avenue.
Permits must be displayed in the driver's side door window. Rubber bands are supplied to attach the permit to the driver's side visor. Each night the visor should be put down and pushed against the window so that the permit is visible from the outside of the car.
Types of Permits:
- Monthly Permit - The cost of the monthly permit is $10.00, or if purchased after the 15th of the month the cost is $5.00. A new Parking Permit is required for each month and can be purchased for most streets within the city limits.
- Annual Permit - The cost of the annual permit is $ 120.00 and is valid for a 12-month period beginning the first day of the month when issued and ending at midnight on the last day of the 12th month from date of issuance. The annual permit may be purchased for any street within the corporate limits of Oshkosh except for the area designated as the "Central City Parking Area".
- Nine (9) Month Permit - The cost of the 9-month permit is $ 90.00. The 9-month permit begins on the first day of September and ends at midnight on the last day of May. The 9-month permit is valid only in the area designated as the "Central City Parking Area". The 9-month permit is available for the full 9-month time limit and will not be sold on a pro-rated basis
- Three (3) Month Permit - The cost of the 3-month permit is $30.00. The 3-month permit begins on the first day of June and ends at midnight on the last day of August. The 3-month permit is valid only in the area designated as the "Central City Parking Area". The 3-month permit is available for the full 3-months time limit and will not be sold on a pro-rated basis.
- The "Central City Parking Area" is outlined by the streets listed below. Please also refer to the map.
- The boundaries begin on Jackson Street at the Fox River to Church Avenue, east on Church Avenue to Franklin Street, north on Franklin Street to West Parkway Avenue, east on Parkway Avenue to Division Street, north on Division Street to Prospect Avenue, west on Prospect Avenue to Merrill Street, north on Merrill Street to New York Avenue, west on New York Avenue to Jackson Street, north on Jackson Street to Congress Avenue, west on Congress Avenue to the Fox River, including both sides of the streets named.
In the University area and other areas of the community, there are a number of streets for which no permits will be sold or there may be restrictions on the number of permits that will be sold in a particular block.
Parking by Permission
Persons may be granted permission to park their vehicles on city streets if they have overnight requests or for temporary construction considerations. Under normal circumstances, permission is only granted for three nights. Permission may be granted for a longer period of time under certain circumstances. Persons granted permission to park must call in each night their vehicle is on the street. When calling for permission you must provide the following information; make and color of the vehicle, license or VIN number of the vehicle. All overnight parking is also subject to the following regulations.
- Signed "No Parking" areas.
- Parking on the Even or Odd numbered sides of streets as determined by the calendar date before midnight.
- Maximum of 3 nights without a permit in a 30-day period anywhere in the city, except for construction.
- No permission for vehicles over 15,000 lbs., motor buses, truck tractors or trailers.
- No permission will be granted after 2:00 a.m.
- No permission during snow emergencies (this includes vehicles with permits).
Persons who wish to appeal a parking ticket they have received should do the following:
- Complete a Parking Ticket Appeal Form at either the Oshkosh Police Department, the Parking Utility Office in City Hall, or online.
- You are notified by mail as to the outcome of your appeal.
All parking tickets are paid at the Parking Utility Office in City Hall - 215 Church Ave. For more information, call: 236-5004